Nov 30, 2023
Bachelor of Science Degree Requirements
Exercise Science Major Requirements (65-69 units)
Select 15 - 24 elective units (16 units for associate degree for tranfer) from
- Any KINES academic course, other than those required in the major;
- Any KAC activity course (no more than 3 additional KAC courses can be applied to the major; repeated KAC course cannot be counted);
Other Degree Requirements
In addition to the major program requirements, every student must also complete the University’s baccalaureate degree requirements such as:
- American Government and Institutions (PLSI 2 )
- General Education Requirements (48 units)
- Multicultural and International (MI)
- Upper-division Writing
- Sufficient Elective Units to Meet Required Total Units (varies); it is recommended that units in this area be utilized to complete a second major or minor.
A full description of the University’s graduation requirements can be found in the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements .
Total Units: 120*
*General Education, MI, and Upper-division Writing courses can be double counted with major requirements. See advisor for details.
- With the assistance of the department advisor, students may choose a program that will prepare them for working with specific age groups or special populations, coaching, athletic training, teaching physical education, or professional applications in the exercise sciences and fitness-related industries.
- Students majoring in Exercise Science may count a maximum of 12 units of activity courses (ATHL, KAC, DANCE) toward the 120 units required for a bachelor’s degree. Repeat credit towards the Exercise Science major is not allowed in any of these activity courses.
- BIOL 20 or BIOL 1A ; and CHEM 1A and CHEM 1AL or CHEM 3A with a C grade or better will meet the Major Electives Requirement and prerequistes for BIOL 67A
- CR/NC grading is not permitted in courses for the Kinesiology major, except in those courses which are designated CR/ NC grading only.
- General Education, MI and elective units may be used toward a minor (see departmental minors) or supplemental credential. Consult the appropriate department chair, program coordinator, or advisor for further information.
- Students interested in the athletic training option should consult the department regarding criteria for selection into this program.
- A grade of C or higher in all required coursework is necessary for successful completion of the major. Any course required as a prerequisite must be completed with a grade of C or better before registration in the subsequent course.
- Lower-division courses taken at other institutions may be accepted as being equivalent to lower-division requirements in the department. Petitions to have courses accepted should be completed during the first semester in the major.
- The Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science complies with university policy regarding the re-taking of courses. Exercise Science students who fail a course (D or F) in the Kinesiology core may retake the class for a second time. If they earn a failing grade (D or F) a second time, they will not be allowed to petition to repeat the course for a third time. These students will not be able to complete the Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science requirements and will be required to declare a new major.
In compliance with Federal Requirements for Posting Licensure and Certification Eligibility, please see the CSU Chancellor’s Office calstate.edu website.