Jul 19, 2024  
General Catalog 2023-2024 
General Catalog 2023-2024 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Mass Communication and Journalism - Broadcast/Multiplatform Journalism Option, B.A.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Degrees and Programs

Bachelor of Arts Degree Requirements

Majors must complete a minimum of 37 semester units of mass communication and journalism courses with a grade of C or better in each course. Students will take 19 units of MCJ core courses and 18 units of courses in their selected option.

Each MCJ major must select an option, which is an area of specialization within the major. The options are advertising and public relations, broadcast and multiplatform journalism, digital journalism, and film and media arts. The courses required for each option are listed under Major Requirements.

Other Degree Requirements

In addition to the major program requirements, every student must also complete the University’s baccalaureate degree requirements such as:

  • American Government and Institutions (PLSI 2 )
  • General Education Requirements (48 units) - see note 2
  • Multicultural and International (MI) - see note 3
  • Upper-division Writing - see note 4
  • Sufficient Elective Units to Meet Required Total Units (varies); it is recommended that units in this area be utilized to complete a second major or minor.

A full description of the University’s graduation requirements can be found in the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements .

Total: 120 Units*

*General Education, MI, and Upper-division Writing courses can be double counted with major requirements. See advisor for details.

Advising Notes

  1. MCJ majors are not permitted to enroll for CR/NC grading in MCJ courses applied to the major, except for courses that require such grading.
  2. It is recommended that students take MCJ courses for the General Education requirements package: MCJ 1 , and MCJ 101 MCJ 175  or MCJ 178  
  3. It is recommended that students take an MCJ course for the MI requirement: MCJ 176  or MCJ 179  
  4. Students must meet all university graduation requirements. This includes the Upper-Division Writing requirement, which may be met by taking MCJ 102W  or a “W” course from another department.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Degrees and Programs