Nov 30, 2023
Bachelor of Science Degree Requirements
This Bachelor of Science degree is designed to provide graduates with an academic background deeply rooted in field-based experiences in the broad array of disciplines within the Plant Sciences.
Major Requirements (62 units)
Select Three (3) Units from MEAG
Select One (1) Unit From
In consultation with a faculty adviser.
Electives (24 units)
Select twenty-four (24) units of electives that best meet your career objectives. A maximum of nine (9) units may be lower division, including any department-approved transfer courses. Note: Electives cannot double count in the required core.
Of the twenty four (24) units of electives required you may select one (1) to three (3) courses from outside of the major from the courses listed below.
Additional prerequisites may be required for some courses. Other electives outside the major not listed below may be considered, but will require prior department chair approval and may have additional prerequisites.
Additional Requirements (16 units)
Other Degree Requirements
In addition to the major program requirements, every student must also complete the University’s baccalaureate degree requirements such as:
- American Government and Institutions (PLSI 2 )
- General Education Requirements (48 units)
- Multicultural and International (MI) - Plant Science majors are exempt from the MI requirement.
- Upper-division Writing
- Sufficient Elective Units to Meet Required Total Units (varies); it is recommended that units in this area be utilized to complete a second major or minor.
A full description of the University’s graduation requirements can be found in the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements .
Total Units: 120*
*General Education, MI, and Upper-division Writing courses can be double counted with major requirements. These courses include CHEM 3A (Area B1), BIOL 11 (Area B2), and MATH 11 (Area B4). See advisor for details.
- Consult with the Jordan College Advising and Career Development Center (JCACDC) adviser and/or faculty adviser each semester.
- One semester prior to graduation, contact your JCACDC adviser to prepare and file any necessary course substitutions.
- CR/NC grading is only permitted for PLANT 194I .
- All prerequisites require a grade of C or higher.
- The upper-division writing skills requirement is met by passing an approved upper-division writing skills course (i.e. PLANT 110W ) to be taken no sooner than the term in which 60 units are completed.
- Units earned for Community College courses may not count toward upper-division units in the major.
- Students interested in professional certifications or licensures (Crop Adviser, Pest Control Adviser, Professional Soil Scientist, Certified Horticulturist, etc.) should consult with their faculty adviser, and/or the Jordan College Advising and Career Development Center.