Nov 29, 2023
Bachelor of Fine Arts Requirements
The Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic Design is a professional program providing directed studies and is designed for students seeking in-depth preparation for specialized educational and career goals.
The curriculum explores the many aspects of graphic design, including the physical, cognitive, social, and cultural human factors. It will also explore theories, principles, and practice in relation to typography, illustration, computer graphics, Web design, motion graphics, history of graphic design, and creative critical visual thinking skills that are applicable to professional practice and to meet entrance requirements to graduate school.
Major Requirements (72 units)
Art and Design Core (18 units)
GD Lower-Division Requirements (21 units)
GD Upper-Division Requirements (12 units)
Area of Emphasis (I, II or III) (21 units)
Illustration candidates - see advisor.
III. Interactive Multimedia Design
Interactive Multimedia Design candidates - see advisor.
Other Degree Requirements
In addition to the major program requirements, every student must also complete the University’s baccalaureate degree requirements such as:
- American Government and Institutions (PLSI 2 )
- General Education Requirements (48 units)
- Multicultural and International (MI) - Graphic Design majors are exempt from the MI requirement.
- Upper-division Writing
- Sufficient Elective Units to Meet Required Total Units (varies); it is recommended that units in this area be utilized to complete a second major or minor.
A full description of the University’s graduation requirements can be found in the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements .
Total Units: 120*
*General Education, MI, and Upper-division Writing courses can be double counted with major requirements. These courses include ARTH 10 , ARTH 11 , ART 20 , ART 40 , ART 50 (Area C1), and ART 13 (Area E). See advisor for details
- A portfolio is required to continue in the B.F.A. in Graphic Design.
- The portfolio needs to be submitted for review only after the student has completed the art and design core courses and all the lower-division graphic design required courses.
- The student must PASS the portfolio review to continue in the B.F.A. in Graphic Design.
- For continuation in the B.F.A. in Graphic Design, all courses required for the major must receive a letter grade of C or higher.
- Student work may be retained for a limited period for display and accreditation visits.