Nov 30, 2023
Major Requirements (45-47 units)
Second Language or Studio Art
Choose 6-8 units of one second language (see advising note 3) or 6 units from Studio Art Courses:
Renaissance and Baroque Art:
Italian Renaissance, Northern Renaissance, Southern Baroque, Northern Baroque, Arts of Colonial Mexico, Arts of the Colonial Andes
Modern and Contemporary Art
Nineteenth-Century Modern Art, Twentieth-Century Modern Art, Contemporary
Arts of Southeast Asia, Kingdoms of Monsoon Asia
Native American and African Art
Africa, Native North America, Pre-Columbian Mexico, Pre-Columbian Andes
Other Degree Requirements
In addition to the major program requirements, every student must also complete the University’s baccalaureate degree requirements such as:
- American Government and Institutions (PLSI 2 )
- General Education Requirements (48 units)
- Multicultural and International (MI)
- Upper-division Writing
- Sufficient Elective Units to Meet Required Total Units (varies); it is recommended that units in this area be utilized to complete a second major or minor.
A full description of the University’s graduation requirements can be found in the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements .
Total: 120 Units*
*General Education, MI, and Upper-division Writing courses can be double counted with major requirements. These courses include ARTH 10 , ARTH 11 , ARTH 12 (G.E. C1), ARTH 140 (G.E. IC), and ARTH 143 (G.E. ID). ARTH 141 or ARTH 142 will fulfill the MI requirement. See advisor for details.
- CR/NC grading is only permitted in ART 198I - Internship in Art .
- General Education and elective units may be used toward a double major or minor (see double major or departmental minor). Consult the appropriate department chair, program coordinator, or faculty advisor for further information.
- To satisfy the second language requirement, art history majors are required to complete two courses (e. g. FREN 1A, FREN 1B, CHIN 1A, CHIN 1B, etc.) in the same language in sequence. English courses and American Sign Language courses are not acceptable to meet this requirement.