Nov 30, 2023
Bachelor of Science Degree Requirements
The requirement for entrance to the major and minor programs is completion of two years of algebra as well as courses in geometry and trigonometry, or a sequence of courses containing their equivalents, such as MATH 3 and MATH 5 . It is strongly recommended that such study be completed before entrance to the university.
Major Requirements (50-57 units)
Core Curriculum (34-39 units)
Option Specific Electives (16-18 units)
Additional Requirements (7 units)
Other Degree Requirements
In addition to the major program requirements, every student must also complete the University’s baccalaureate degree requirements such as:
- American Government and Institutions (PLSI 2 )
- General Education Requirements (48 units) - see notes 2 and 3
- Multicultural and International (MI)
- Upper-division Writing
- Sufficient Elective Units to Meet Required Total Units (varies); it is recommended that units in this area be utilized to complete a second major or minor.
A full description of the University’s graduation requirements can be found in the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements .
Total Units: 120*
*General Education, MI, and Upper-division Writing courses can be double counted with major requirements. See advisor for details.
The Culminating Experience for the Pure Mathematics Option consists of the following:
- A Junior Seminar (MATH 193B ) in Pure Mathematics in the spring semester of the year prior to graduation, and
- A Senior Project (MATH 198 ) in Pure Mathematics, which will include a report and a presentation in the Junior Seminar in the spring semester of student’s graduating year.
Major Advising Notes
- One 3-4 unit mathematics course, upper division or graduate, excluding MATH 100 , MATH 102 , MATH 133 , MATH 134 , MATH 137 , MATH 138 , and MATH 139 . Special conditions apply for graduate courses; see department advisor.
- PHYS 4AL is not required for the math major. If students wish to include PHYS 4A as a General Education Breadth course, they must also take PHYS 4AL .
- Three units of MATH 75 (or MATH 75A ) also will satisfy the GE Foundation B4 requirement.
- See Mathematics Road Map at http://www.fresnostate.edu/degreeroadmap/
- Advising Requirements. It is strongly recommended, to all math majors, to have an advising session at least once a semester. See the department chair for assignment to an advisor.
- Grade Requirements. All courses required as prerequisites for a mathematics course must be completed with a grade of C or better before registration will be permitted. All courses taken to fulfill major or minor requirements must be completed with a grade of C or better.