Nov 30, 2023
Bachelor of Science Degree Requirements
Major Requirements (66 units)
Major Core Requirements (53-54 units)
Design Applications (7 units)
Technical Area Courses (6 units)
Take a Minimum of 3 Units in Group A
A Maximum of 3 Units in Group B
May be substituted for a course in Group A with faculty advisor’s approval.
Additional Requirements (21 units)
Other Degree Requirements
In addition to the major program requirements, every student must also complete the University’s baccalaureate degree requirements such as:
- American Government and Institutions (PLSI 2 )
- General Education Requirements (48 units) - Engineering majors are exempt from GE areas A3, E, ID, and the third course in Area C
- Multicultural and International (MI) - Mechanical Engineering majors are exempt from the MI requirement
- Upper-division Writing
- Sufficient Elective Units to Meet Required Total Units (varies); it is recommended that units in this area be utilized to complete a second major or minor.
A full description of the University’s graduation requirements can be found in the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements .
Total: 123 Units*
*General Education, MI, and Upper-division Writing courses can be double counted with major requirements. These courses include MATH 75 (Area B4), CHEM 1A and CHEM 1AL (Area B1), ME 26 and ME 95 (Area C1), PHIL 20 (Area C2), ME 134 (Area IB), ME 135 , ME 155 and ME 156 (Area IC). See advisor for details.
- All LCOE students can enroll in ME 112 and ME 136 without permission numbers if they have fulfilled the prerequisite requirements. For all other upper-division ME courses, non-ME majors must have permission numbers approved by the ME department chair.
- Courses in mathematics, the physical sciences, or engineering taken CR/NC are not counted toward fulfillment of degree requirements in mechanical engineering.
- Mechanical engineering majors might consider a math, physics, or business minor.
- Since the mechanical engineering major curriculum is very demanding, many students, especially those not fully prepared in mathematics, chemistry, and/or physics, take 4 1/2 or more years to graduate rather than the traditional 4 years.
- Advising is mandatory in the Lyles College of Engineering. A registration hold will be placed on students who fail to see their advisor at least once per academic year.
- The Upper-Division Writing Skills requirement has to be completed no sooner than the term in which 60 units of coursework are completed or no later than the term in which 90 units are completed. This requirement can be met by taking ENGR 105WE or a department-approved writing course passed with a letter grade of C or better in the junior year.
- With faculty advisor approval, ENGR 101 may be taken instead of MATH 81 .
- All courses in Math, Science, and Engineering used in the BSME curriculum must be passed with a C or better grade.