Bachelor of Music Degree Requirements
Admission into the Bachelor of Music - Instrumental Performance Option is contingent upon the following:
- Complete all coursework in the Pre-Music Major
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.67
- Pass Jury I on primary instrument
Major Requirements (81 units)
Pre-Music Major Requirements (22 units)
Music Core Requirements (23 units)
Instrumental Performance Option Requirements (36 units)
- Four semesters in MUSIC 31P - MUSIC 38P appropriate to declared performing medium Units: 4 (see note 3, 8,10, 12)
- MUSIC 47 - Introduction to Music Technology Units: 2
- MUSIC 144 - Form and Analysis Units: 3
- MUSIC 166 - Piano Pedagogy Units: 2
- MUSIC 167 - Keyboard Literature Units: 2
- MUSIC 175T - Topics in Instrumental Pedagogy Units: 2
- MUSIC 176T - Instrument Repertoire and Literature Units: 2
- MUSIC 175T - Topics in Instrumental Pedagogy Units: 2 and
- MUSIC 111 - Advanced Guitar Technique Units: 2
- MUSIC 112 - Advanced Flamenco Interpretation Units: 2
- MUSIC 131 Units: 3 (until completion of Senior Recital) (see notes 3, 8, 10, 12, 14)
- MUSIC 138 - Instrumental, Vocal, & Composition Lessons Units: 1 (until completion of Senior Recital) (see notes 3, 8, 10, 12, 14)
- Four semesters in MUSIC 103 Ensemble appropriate to declared performing medium Units: 4 (see notes 4, 14)
- MUSIC 102 Ensemble appropriate to declared performing medium (four semesters) Units: 4
- MUSIC 117 Ensemble appropriate to declared performing medium (four semesters) Units: 4
- MUSIC 118 Ensemble appropriate to declared performing medium (four semesters) Units: 4
- MUSIC 197 - Junior Recital Units: 1 (see note 12)
- MUSIC 198 - Senior Recital or Project Units: 1-2 (see note 13) [sr recital for performance is 2 units]
- ENTR 81E - Introduction to Entrepreneurship Units: 3
Additional Requirements (0 units)
Other Degree Requirements
In addition to the major program requirements, every student must also complete the University’s baccalaureate degree requirements such as:
- American Government and Institutions (PLSI 2 )
- General Education Requirements (48 units) - Music Majors are exempt from GE Area C1, C3, and IC (see note 7)
- Multicultural and International (MI)
- Upper-division Writing
- Sufficient Elective Units to Meet Required Total Units (varies); it is recommended that units in this area be utilized to complete a second major or minor.
A full description of the University’s graduation requirements can be found in the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements .
Other Departmental and Instrumental Performance Option Requirements must also be passed to complete the degree. See below for details.
Total: 124 Units*
*General Education, MI, and Upper-division Writing courses can be double counted with major requirements. This includes MUSIC 171A (Area MI). See advisor for details.
Other Departmental Requirements
- Students intending to pursue the B.M. degree must take a theory and ear training proficiency examination after completion of MUSIC 1D and MUSIC 43 . Students must pass this exam before being allowed to register for the Senior Recital (MUSIC 198 ).
- Students majoring in music must enroll in a piano class (MUSIC 4A , MUSIC 4B , and MUSIC 4C ) until the departmental piano proficiency examination has been passed. Piano music majors must enroll in MUSIC 14 and MUSIC 114 in lieu of MUSIC 4A , MUSIC 4B , MUSIC 4C and the piano proficiency examination. (See Department of Music Undergraduate Student Handbook for details.)
- Students in Music 31/MUSIC 31E /MUSIC 31J /MUSIC 31P - MUSIC 39 /MUSIC 39E/MUSIC 39J /MUSIC 39P will perform in student recitals as assigned by their instructor.
- Students in Music 31/MUSIC 31E /MUSIC 31J /MUSIC 31P - MUSIC 39 /MUSIC 39E/MUSIC 39J /MUSIC 39P are required to concurrently enroll in an appropriate ensemble. Brass, Percussion, and Wind students: MUSIC 103SB , MUSIC 103SO , or MUSIC 103WO ; String students: MUSIC 103JO ; Voice students: MUSIC 103CC ; Jazz Students: MUSIC 103JO
- Music students must earn a grade of C or better in each course used to satisfy the requirements of the major, including the Pre-Major. No course taken for the music major can be graded on a CR/NC basis except for courses with mandatory CR/NC grading.
- Students in Music 31/MUSIC 31E /MUSIC 31J /MUSIC 31P - MUSIC 39 /MUSIC 39E/MUSIC 39J /MUSIC 39P , and MUSIC 131/MUSIC 131J - MUSIC 139 /MUSIC 139J are required to concurrently enroll in the appropriate master class (Music 30MC/30VW/30JF) for their instrument/voice.
- The university General Education requirement is 48 units. Students majoring in the Bachelors of Music or Bachelors of Music Education take 40 units of General Education, with 9 units waived. These 9 units are from Areas C1, C3, and IC. The requirements for these areas are covered in required coursework for the major.
Other Instrumental Performance Option Requirements
- Upon conclusion of the second semester of MUSIC 31P - MUSIC 38P , freshmen must attempt Jury I in their primary instrument before being admitted to the Instrumental Performance major. Transfer students typically attempt Jury I in their first semester. Students are allowed two attempts, taken in consecutive semesters, to pass Jury I.
- Students must pass the piano proficiency examination, MUSIC 1B , and MUSIC 41 before attempting Jury II.
- Upon conclusion of the fourth semester of MUSIC 31P - MUSIC 38P , sophomores will typically attempt Jury II. Transfer students will typically attempt Jury II in their second semester of study. Students are allowed two attempts, taken in consecutive semesters, to pass Jury II. Failure to pass a second attempt will result in the student being dropped from the Instrumental Performance major but may continue as a Bachelor of Arts major.
- Jury II must be passed before students are allowed to enroll in upper division lessons.
- Beginning the first semester of Music 131 - MUSIC 138 , Instrumental Performance students will begin preparation of the Junior Recital (MUSIC 197 ). Failure to pass the Junior Recital will result in the student being dropped from the Instrumental Performance major but may continue as a Bachelor of Arts major.
- Instrumental Performance students will typically perform a Senior recital at the end of their fourth semester of Music 131 - MUSIC 138 .
- Ensemble & Lesson requirement:- Students enrolled in Music 131 - MUSIC 138 are required to concurrently enroll in an appropriate ensemble through the senior recital. Brass, Percussion, and Wind students: MUSIC 103SB , MUSIC 103SO , or MUSIC 103WO ; String students: MUSIC 103SO .- Guitar, harp, and piano students will fulfill 50 percent of this requirement by enrolling in Guitar Ensemble, Keyboard Ensemble, or other approved Music 102, MUSIC 117, or MUSIC 118 ensembles. The remaining 50 percent must be fulfilled by enrolling in either MUSIC 103SO , MUSIC 103WO , MUSIC 103SB , MUSIC 103JO , or MUSIC 103CC .