Bachelor of Music Degree Requirements
Admission into the Bachelor of Music - Music Education Option (Pre-Certification) is contingent upon the following:
- Complete all coursework in the Pre-Music Major
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.67
- Pass Jury I on your primary instrument/voice
Major Requirements (89 units)
Pre-Music Major Requirements (22 units)
Music Core Requirements (23 units)
Music Education Option Requirements (44 units)
Choose One Line (10 units):
Additional Requirements (0 units)
- MUSIC 20 - Convocation Units: 0 (4 semesters) (see note 6)
- MUSIC 30MC - Master Class Units: 0 (appropriate to instrument or voice) (8 semesters) (see note 6)
- MUSIC 30VW Units: 0 (appropriate to instrument or voice) (8 semesters) (see note 6)
Other Requirements (9 units)
In addition to the major program requirements, every student must also complete the University’s baccalaureate degree requirements such as:
- American Government and Institutions (PLSI 2 )
- General Education Requirements (48 units) - Music Majors are exempt from GE Area C1, C3, and IC (see note 7)
- Multicultural and International (MI)
- Upper-division Writing
- Sufficient Elective Units to Meet Required Total Units (varies); it is recommended that units in this area be utilized to complete a second major or minor.
A full description of the University’s graduation requirements can be found in the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements .
Other Departmental and Music Education Option Requirements must also be passed to complete the degree. See below for details.
Total: 132 Units*
*General Education, MI, and Upper-division Writing courses can be double counted with major requirements. This includes MUSIC 171A (Area MI). See advisor for details.
Other Departmental Requirements
- Students intending to pursue the B.M. degree must take a theory and ear training proficiency examination after completion of MUSIC 1D and MUSIC 43 . Students not passing this exam will not be allowed to register for their recital (MUSIC 198 ).
- Students majoring in music must enroll in a piano class (MUSIC 4A , MUSIC 4B , and MUSIC 4C ) until the departmental piano proficiency examination has been passed. Piano music majors must enroll in MUSIC 14 and MUSIC 114 in lieu of MUSIC 4A , MUSIC 4B , MUSIC 4C and the piano proficiency examination. (See Department of Music Undergraduate Student Handbook for details.)
- Students in Music 31/MUSIC 31E /MUSIC 31J /MUSIC 31P - MUSIC 39 /MUSIC 39E/MUSIC 39J /MUSIC 39P will perform in student recitals as assigned by their instructor.
- Students in Music 31/MUSIC 31E /MUSIC 31J /MUSIC 31P - MUSIC 39 /MUSIC 39E/MUSIC 39J /MUSIC 39P are required to concurrently enroll in an appropriate ensemble. Brass, Percussion, and Wind students: MUSIC 103SB , MUSIC 103SO , or MUSIC 103WO ; String students: MUSIC 103SO ; Voice students: MUSIC 103CC ; Jazz Students: MUSIC 103JO
- Music students must earn a grade of C or better in each course used to satisfy the requirements of the major, including the Pre-Major. No course taken for the music major can be graded on a CR/NC basis except for courses with mandatory CR/NC grading.
- Students in Music 31/MUSIC 31E /MUSIC 31J /MUSIC 31P - MUSIC 39 /MUSIC 39E/MUSIC 39J /MUSIC 39P , and MUSIC 131/MUSIC 131J - MUSIC 139 /MUSIC 139J are required to concurrently enroll in the appropriate master class (MUSIC 30MC /MUSIC 30VW/MUSIC 30JF ) for their instrument/voice and MUSIC 20 - Convocation .
- The university General Education requirement is 48 units. Students majoring in the Bachelors of Music take 40 units of General Education, with 9 units waived. These 9 units are from Areas C1, C3, and IC. The requirements for these areas are covered in required coursework for the major.
Other Bachelor of Music Education Option Requirements
- Students intending to pursue the Music Education Option must also take the Music Education Barrier exam after completion of MUSIC 1D , MUSIC 4D and MUSIC 43 . Students not passing this exam by graduation will not achieve Subject Matter Proficiency, and will have to take and pass the CSET in Music before entering a Teaching Credential Program. Students will be granted three attempts at taking these examinations.
- Once admitted into the Music Education option. major, students must maintain a minimum cumulative 2.75 GPA
- Upon conclusion of the second semester of MUSIC 31E - MUSIC 39E, freshmen must attempt Jury I in their primary instrument or voice before being admitted to the Music Education Option. major. Transfer students typically attempt Jury I in their first semester. Students are allowed two attempts, taken in consecutive semesters, to pass Jury I.
- Students must pass the piano proficiency examination, MUSIC 1B , and MUSIC 41 before attempting Jury II.
- Upon conclusion of the fourth semester of MUSIC 31E - MUSIC 39E, sophomores will typically attempt Jury II. Transfer students will typically attempt Jury II in their second semester of study. Students are allowed two attempts, taken in consecutive semesters, to pass Jury II. Failure to pass a second attempt will result in the student being dropped from the B.M. major but may continue as a Bachelor of Arts major.
- Jury II must be passed before students are allowed to enroll in upper division lessons.
- Upon conclusion of the second semester of Music 131 - MUSIC 139 , Music Education students will attempt and pass Jury III before being permitted enroll in the senior recital. Transfer students will typically attempt Jury III in their third semester of study. Students are allowed two attempts, taken in consecutive semesters, to pass Jury III. Failure to pass a second attempt of Jury III will result in the student being dropped from the B.M. major. These students may continue in the Bachelor of Arts major.
- Students will typically perform a Senior recital at the end of their fourth semester of Music 131 - MUSIC 139 .
- Music Education Option majors with an instrumental concentration must take all techniques courses (MUSIC 115 , MUSIC 122A , MUSIC 124A , MUSIC 126 , MUSIC 127A , and MUSIC 159 ) that are outside of their instrument area.
- Students must pass the conducting proficiency examination upon completion of MUSIC 158A or MUSIC 158B (Limit two attempts).
- Ensemble & Lesson requirement:
- Students enrolled in Music 131 - MUSIC 139 are required to concurrently enroll in an appropriate ensemble through the senior recital. Brass, Percussion, and Wind students: MUSIC 103SB , MUSIC 103SO , or MUSIC 103WO ; String students: MUSIC 103SO ; Voice students: MUSIC 103CC
- Guitar, harp, and piano students will fulfill 50 percent of this requirement by enrolling in Guitar Ensemble, Keyboard Ensemble, or other approved Music 102, MUSIC 117, or MUSIC 118 ensembles. The remaining 50 percent must be fulfilled by enrolling in either MUSIC 103SO , MUSIC 103WO , MUSIC 103SB , MUSIC 103JO , or MUSIC 103CC .