Bachelor of Music Degree Requirements
Admission into the Bachelor of Music Vocal Performance degree is contingent upon the following:
- Complete all coursework in the Pre-Music Major
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.67
- Pass Jury I in voice area
Major Requirements (84 units)
Pre-Music Major Requirements (22 units)
Music Core Requirements (23 units)
Vocal Performance Option Requirements (39 units)
- Four semesters in MUSIC 39P appropriate to declared performing medium (see note 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12) Units: 4
- MUSIC 47 - Introduction to Music Technology Units: 2
- MUSIC 113 - Vocal Pedagogy Units: 2
- MUSIC 118OT - Opera Theatre Units: 1
- MUSIC 118OPR - Opera Production Units: 1
- MUSIC 144 - Form and Analysis Units: 3
- MUSIC 172 - Vocal Literature Units: 2
- MUSIC 185A - Lyric Diction I Units: 2
- MUSIC 185B - Lyric Diction II Units: 2
- MUSIC 185C - Lyric Diction III Units: 2
- MUSIC 185D - Lyric Diction IV Units: 2
- MUSIC 139 - Instrumental, Vocal, & Composition Lessons Units: 1 (6 units - until completion of Senior Recital) (see notes 3, 8, 10, 12, 14,15)
- Four semesters in MUSIC 103 Concert Choir (see note 8, 9) Units: 4
- MUSIC 197 - Junior Recital Units: 1
- MUSIC 198 - Senior Recital or Project Units: 1-2 (see note 15) [sr recital for vocal performance is 2 units] Music Elective (1)
- ENTR 81E - Introduction to Entrepreneurship Units: 3
Additional Requirements (11 units)
Other Degree Requirements
University’s baccalaureate degree requirements such as:
- American Government and Institutions (PLSI 2 )
- General Education Requirements (48 units) - Music Majors are exempt from GE Area C1, C3, and IC (see note 7)
- Multicultural and International (MI)
- Upper-division Writing
- Sufficient Elective Units to Meet Required Total Units (varies); it is recommended that units in this area be utilized to complete a second major or minor.
A full description of the University’s graduation requirements can be found in the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements .
Other Departmental and Vocal Performance Option Requirements must also be passed to complete the degree. See below for details.
Total: 132 Units*
*General Education, MI, and Upper-division Writing courses can be double counted with major requirements. These courses include a Foreign Language Course (Area C2), DANCE 70 (Area E), and MUSIC 171A (Area MI). See advisor for details.
Other Departmental Requirements
- Students intending to pursue the B.M. degrees must take a theory and ear training proficiency examination after completion of MUSIC 1D and MUSIC 43 . Students not passing this exam will not be allowed to register for their recital (MUSIC 198 ).
- Students majoring in music must enroll in a piano class (MUSIC 4A , MUSIC 4B , and MUSIC 4C ) until the departmental piano proficiency examination has been passed. Piano music majors must enroll in MUSIC 14 and MUSIC 114 in lieu of MUSIC 4A , MUSIC 4B , MUSIC 4C and the piano proficiency examination. (See Department of Music Undergraduate Student Handbook for details.)
- Students in Music 31/MUSIC 31E /MUSIC 31J /MUSIC 31P - MUSIC 39 /MUSIC 39E/MUSIC 39J /MUSIC 39P will perform in student recitals as assigned by their instructor.
- Students in Music 31/MUSIC 31E /MUSIC 31J /MUSIC 31P - MUSIC 39 /MUSIC 39E/MUSIC 39J /MUSIC 39P are required to concurrently enroll in an appropriate ensemble. Brass, Percussion, and Wind students: MUSIC 103SB , MUSIC 103SO , or MUSIC 103WO ; String students: MUSIC 103SO ; Voice students: MUSIC 103CC ; Jazz Students: MUSIC 103JO
- Music students must earn a grade of C or better in each course used to satisfy the requirements of the major, including the Pre-Major. No course taken for the music major can be graded on a CR/NC basis except for courses with mandatory CR/NC grading.
- Students in Music 31/MUSIC 31E /MUSIC 31J /MUSIC 31P - MUSIC 39 /MUSIC 39E/MUSIC 39J /MUSIC 39P , and MUSIC 131/MUSIC 131J - MUSIC 139 /MUSIC 139J are required to concurrently enroll in the appropriate master class (MUSIC 30MC /MUSIC 30JF ) for their instrument/voice.
- The university General Education requirement is 48 units. Students majoring in the Bachelors of Music or Bachelors of Music Education take 40 units of General Education, with 9 units waived. These 9 units are from Areas C1, C3, and IC. The requirements for these areas are covered in required coursework for the major.
Other Vocal Performance Degree Requirement
- Students enrolled in MUSIC 39P and MUSIC 139 are required to concurrently enroll in MUSIC 103CC through the senior recital.
- Vocal Performance majors may substitute up to 2 units of MUSIC 102CS for the MUSIC 103CC requirements, with permission of the Director of Choral Activities.
- Upon conclusion of the second semester of MUSIC 39P , students must attempt Jury I. Transfer students typically attempt Jury I in their first semester. Students are allowed two attempts, taken in consecutive semesters, to pass Jury I. Failure to pass a second attempt will result in the student being declined enrollment into the Vocal Performance major.
- Students must pass the piano proficiency examination, MUSIC 1B , and MUSIC 41 before attempting Jury II.
- Upon conclusion of the fourth semester of MUSIC 39P , sophomores will typically attempt Jury II. Transfer students will typically attempt Jury II in their second semester of study. Students are allowed two attempts, taken in consecutive semesters, to pass Jury II. Failure to pass a second attempt will result in the student being dropped from the BM in Vocal Performance major but may continue as a Bachelor of Arts major.
- Jury II must be passed before students are allowed to enroll in upper division lessons.
- Beginning the first semester of MUSIC 139 , Vocal Performance students will begin preparation of the Junior Recital (MUSIC 197 ). Failure to pass the Junior Recital will result in the student being dropped from the Vocal Performance major but may continue as a Bachelor of Arts major.
- Students will typically perform a Senior recital at the end of their fourth semester of MUSIC 139 .