Apr 12, 2024  
General Catalog 2023-2024 
General Catalog 2023-2024

Civil Engineering, B.S.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Degrees and Programs

Bachelor of Science Degree Requirements

Major Requirements (70 units)

Technical Area Courses (15 units)

Select 3 units from:

Select 3 Units from Any Remaining Technical Area Courses:

Other Degree Requirements

In addition to the major program requirements, every student must also complete the University’s baccalaureate degree requirements such as:

  • American Government and Institutions (PLSI 2)
  • General Education Requirements (48 units) - Engineering majors are exempt from G.E. Areas A3, C1, the third C1/C2, E, and IC
  • Multicultural and International (MI) - Civil Engineering majors are exempt from the MI requirement.
  • Upper-division Writing
  • Sufficient Elective Units to Meet Required Total Units (varies); it is recommended that units in this area be utilized to complete a second major or minor.

A full description of the University’s graduation requirements can be found in the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements .

Total: 124 Units*

*General Education, MI, and Upper-division Writing courses can be double counted with major requirements. These courses include MATH 75   (Area B4), CHEM 3A  (Area B1), PHIL 1  or PHIL 10  (Area C2), CE 121  (Area IB), and CE 161  (Area ID). See advisor for details. 

Advising Notes

  1. Courses in mathematics, the physical sciences, or engineering taken CR/NC are not counted toward fulfillment of degree requirements in civil engineering.
  2. The Upper-Division Writing Skills requirement shall can be met completing ENGR 105WE   with a letter grade of C or better.
  3. Students must consult with their academic advisor at least once each year.
  4. The 15 units of Technical Area Courses must be completed with a grade of C or better.
  5. The following courses must be passed with a grade of “C” or better: MATH 75 , MATH 76 , MATH 77 , MATH 81  or ENGR 101 , PHYS 4A  and PHYS 4B , CHEM 3A , CE 20 , CE 121 .
  6. Students must obtain department approval prior to taking upper division major courses at another institution.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Degrees and Programs