Nov 30, 2023
Major Requirements (45 units)
Core Curriculum (24 units)
Methodological Training (6 units)
Select one area of emphasis
Cultural Anthropology Emphasis:
Biophysical Anthropology Emphasis:
In addition to the core curriculum, each student, in consultation with an advisor, will select the following:
Elective curriculum(15 units minimum) (see Advising Note 2)
- Three upper-division classes within the student’s area of emphasis (e.g. cultural, physical, or archaeology) (9 units)
- Two additional upper-division classes, one in each remaining subdiscipline (e.g., an archaeology student would take one cultural and one physical course) (6 units)
Certificates: Students may benefit from a certificate program. If a student completes an approved certificate, then they will be exempt from one elective in their area of emphasis; please consult an advisor.
Other Degree Requirements
In addition to the major program requirements, every student must also complete the University’s baccalaureate degree requirements such as:
- American Government and Institutions (PLSI 2 )
- General Education Requirements (48 units)
- Multicultural and International (MI)
- Upper-division Writing
- Sufficient Elective Units to Meet Required Total Units (varies); it is recommended that units in this area be utilized to complete a second major or minor.
A full description of the University’s graduation requirements can be found in the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements .
Total: 120 Units*
*General Education, MI, and Upper-division Writing courses can be double counted with major requirements. See advisor for details.
- CR/NC grading is not permitted in the anthropology major or minor unless the grading method for the course is CR/NC only.
- ANTH 2 or ANTH 3 in G. E. Breadth D2 may be applied to the anthropology major. Consult the department chair or faculty advisor for additional details.
- ANTH 161 may not be used to satisfy elective requirements for the major and ANTH 117 and ANTH 118 can satisfy either the cultural or physical elective.
- Units in this category as well as in General Education, may also be applied toward a double major or minor, as appropriate.
- ANTH 30 does not satisfy elective requirements in the major.