Nov 30, 2023
Major Requirements (66 units)
Animal Science Core (39 units)
Select 6 Units From the Following:
(see advising note 1)
Career Specialization: Livestock and Poultry Management Specialization (27 units)
Additional Requirements (13 units)
Each of the animal science options requires courses in the major that also satisfy General Education requirements. These courses amount to 12 units of the 48 unit General Education requirement.
Other Degree Requirements
In addition to the major program requirements, every student must also complete the University’s baccalaureate degree requirements such as:
- American Government and Institutions (PLSI 2 )
- General Education Requirements (48 units)
- Multicultural and International (MI)
- Upper-division Writing
- Sufficient Elective Units to Meet Required Total Units (varies); it is recommended that units in this area be utilized to complete a second major or minor.
A full description of the University’s graduation requirements can be found in the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements .
Total Minimum Requirements: 120 Units*
*General Education, MI, and Upper-division Writing courses can be double counted with major requirements. See advisor for details.
- Within the Animal Science Core, Equine Specialization majors are required to take ASCI 51 , Dairy Specialization majors are required to take ASCI 61 , and Meat Technology Specialization majors are required to take ASCI 91 .
- Mandatory advising is required of all students in the degree program. See the administrative support coordinator for the name of your assigned advisor.
- New students should request an option advising check sheet from the department office.
- All students should make an appointment with their assigned faculty advisor prior to registration each semester.
- CR/NC grading is not permitted for courses included in the major unless the courses have been designated CR/NC grading only.
- Total number of units will exceed 120 if a student chooses to meet all of the Veterinary Medicine entrance requirements. Preveterinary and veterinary preparation students should consult their faculty advisor regarding entrance requirements and admissions procedures to veterinary school. Additional courses such as PHYS 2B , calculus, and statistics may be required.